Saturday, June 7, 2008

The super mean death machine

A new bike, what a great reason to start riding again. I have always enjoyed riding bikes and that was also a good reason for my new purchase. My first ride was in Chico out in the orchard, a nice flat road, well let me tell you, just because you can ride a mile or so on the nice flat land in the Sacramento Valley, that doesn't not mean you can ride a bike. As you may or may not know, my house is on a hill, and taking in to consideration that what goes up must come down and vice-a-versa what goes down must come up when bike riding, I decided my rides were going to start out going up the hill. Well, at the top of the hill I wasn't doing to bad. Yeah, I had to catch my breath and rest for a minute or two, then I was off. Following the afore mentioned rule about the ups and downs I once again set out to ride up the hill known as Paradise. The next part of the ride wasn't to bad, then comes the "dip" in the road. It really isn't a dip as much as it is the drop from one hill to the creek at the bottom and then the climb up the other side, which is steeper and higher then the down hill side. Well about 1/4 of the way up (still less than half a mile in to the ride) I had to get off and walk up. At the top it levels out, it is still up hill, but very slightly up hill. I get to the "top" of the little hill and then drop down (about 2 feet) to the bike path. I start up the path and get about 1/10 of a mile up it and have to call it quits. All in all my first ride was a whopping .76 miles up the hill. The ride back is a piece of cake, all down hill except for the "dip." The nice thing about the dip this way is that at the bottom I am going 30+ miles an hour and can coast almost all the way up the other side. As if the pain from climbing the hills and actually exercising for the first time in a long time isn't enough, my rear was then killing me from the bike saddle and the next day, I didn't want to move, at least my legs didn't.

1 comment:

Alana's World said...

Trevor,
That is a funny name for a bike!!!
Love,
Alana