Friday, June 6, 2008

My new bike


Ok, so a couple of months ago it started to get warm and while visiting the West's out at the farm house they are renting, I got the brilliant idea to go on a bike ride with their kids. I borrowed Valerie's bike and we went for a ride. We didn't go very far, and the land being flat the ride was fairly easy. I then decided to plan another ride with the kids and once again used Val's bike, after this second ride I decided that my old bike just wasn't going to cut it for me any more. I then made the decision that my economic stimulus check would go toward a new ride. Well 2 weeks before the check was to arrive (it was actually direct deposited in to my account) I started shopping. After several visits to the local bike dealers, including test riding several models, and talking to a friend who is, in my opinion, somewhat of an expert in cycling, my decision had come down to 3 brands. On May 10th, the day after my money arrived, I went and test rode the bikes in the price range I was looking at (by this time the amount I was looking to spend had gone up a couple of hundred dollars because of the difference in ride quality). After my visit to the 2nd dealer I had made up my mind to order a Gary Fisher because the dealer in town was out of the bike in my size and the ride of the Fisher bike was so nice. I went in to the last dealer with my mind made up, and just to ride a Trek in my price range. I started looking through their selection, and noticed that they had a bike from the next higher price range which was discounted right down to the price I was looking at (it was a brand new 2007 model, and the last one in his inventory). I talked to the shop owner and asked what the difference in the Trek 4 series and 6 series bikes was. His answer was, in one word, huge. He started explaining a little bit about what he meant, and was soon speaking a language that I wasn't completely familiar with, then he said something I did understand. He said that for the type of riding I had told him I was interested in doing, both models would be fine, but that the 6 series would be more durable, and to sweeten the deal offered to pay the sales tax saving me about $40.00. That pretty much made my decision for me, but I went for a test ride anyhow. To make a long story short, and yes I know it is too late, the test ride sealed the deal. I walked back in to his place and said sold, now I want I computer for it (I wanted to see how far each ride was and to see my speed while riding) he made his recommendation and showed me what was "most popular" meaning it was less expensive, I went with his recommendation (after all I was still below what I was thinking I was going to have to pay), then picked out a new lock and had them install the computer. They said ok, put the install in to the line up in their repair shop and said it would be about an hour. I said ok, left my cell phone number with them and left. About an hour later I got the call to pick it up and off I went.

No comments: